Saturday, February 17, 2007

I'm going to Germany!

I will be leaving you soon and going to Germany doing some practical work in my master thesis (I'm doing my masters in Medicinal Plants) Basically my stay there is for only three months but frankly speaking I will do my best to make them longer, as long as possible. I'm leaving on Tuesday Feb 20 Enshaallah. Doing research in Germany has been my dreams for over ten years now, since my first days in the Faculty of Pharmacy I found myself drawn to the medicinal plants study, we call it Pharmcognosy, a huge subject that we study it over four years. That was when I started to develop this passion for medicinal plants, herbal medicine, alternative medicine and other related sciences. Knowing that pharmacy started by herbal medicine in ancient Egypt with the pharaohs who were the pioneers in such science in addition to the chinese, Indians, Greeks and Romans. Soon the Muslims became the pioneers in this science as well as many other sciences and during the great Islamic civilisation the first pharmacy was opened in Bagdad, a small shop selling herbs and herbal preparations that was established from Sandal wood, then came to be called Sandaleya and from thisthe word Saydala originated. I think most of you have heard about Tazkaret Dawood, one of the oldest medicinal textbooks focusing on Herbs. During the eighteenth century, the leadership moved to Europe and for hundreds of years it nourished with preparing plant extracts, isolating active compounds and doing tests on animals and humans. This whole era was crowned by the discovery of Penicillin from a kind of fungus and then preparing its synthetic analogue from chemicals. Same happened with aspirin that is originally an extract from the willow bark (Salix alba) and its synthetic analogue was prepared in the lab under the name of Acetyl Salicylic Acid that was soon called aspirin. By the begining of the twentieth century, most herbal drugs were replaced with synthetic ones and the industry of medicine became one of the bigest Buisness in the world. Only by the end of the twentieth century people started to notice the harmful effects of synthetic drugs and it was the back to nature call that drew the attention to herbal medicne once again. Of all the countries of the world, Germany is the mother and center of modern herbal medicine research. With huge investment in research, production and progress of herbal medicines. So finally I'm going to Germany, a dream that is coming true and a huge challenge in my life, personal and career wise but I'm ready for that. I will need your wishes and prayers, I'm sure you all wish me the best and your love will keep me warm in the cold loneliness of Germany.

No comments: