Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Of Turning Thirty/Meto at Twenty!

In the year 1999 I turned twenty. If you had the chance to see me in this year you would have seen a totally different person. Young was the word to describe my age and my face but not my looks, with my extremely old fashioned clothes and glasses that I insisted to wear only to look older and with the sad deep look that I always carried, with the kind of books I used to read and whenever I opened my mouth to say anything -something that rarely happened- you would say "What's wrong with this boy?! he looks 16 and he sounds 50!!" I was silent most of the time, engulfed in my own world, talking to myself either silently or loudly most of the time and trying to keep away from people as much as I could. I never had friends at school, my attachment to studying and to be always the first kept me closer to my teachers and books but very far from my colleagues, and actually I didn't mind that, on the contrary, I used to see my colleagues as ridiculous and silly creatures who are shallow and dumb and who spend their valuable time doing useless things. I felt superior and far batter than them so they did not deserve even to say good morning to them or replying to anything they said. My world had no people except my family, mainly my mother and 4 sisters, and of all the members of my family, my little sister Salma was my pet. I took full charge of her when she was 2 and I was 14, I became responsible for anything related to her life, school, going out, reading, everything! At that age she was the only human being I got closer to, with her cheerful and life loving self she filled my days with happiness, I saw many things through her little innocent eyes and I spent my best times with her. Till this day I never feel she is my sister, she is my daughter, a piece of me and the dearest person to my heart. This weird character went with me to university and the fact that I was studying Pharmacy with all the abuse we had to go through from long tiring sessions to being victims to all kinds of psychological complexes that the professors suffered from and got on us, this added to my silent and inward solitude and resulted in this absurd character that I had. I recall that the worst time ever was the one when I had to work in a group to perform some lab work or to do an expriment where each student is supposed to coordinate with a team to get something done. Thank God my reputation as a very clever guy helped me to gain the trust of my colleagues that I will handle everything and they will just get the results, I gained their trust and respect but not their love, but did I care? My free time which was only in the summer holidays was spent in training; I worked in pharmacies, companies, medical labs, I just wanted to make use of every minute I have to get career-related knowledge. And going out meant going out alone or with my family, rarley with school colleagues who for sure found me very boring with my silence, my deep interest in books and my hate to football and sports, my inability to share their talks about cars and such things that teenagers find engaging. At that age I was extremely religious, I used to pray in the mosque as much as possible, walking always with the holly Koran and reading it in transportation and whenever I had any free time. My biggest dream was to bomb myself in palistine to gain a lifetime residence in paradise and do something useful with my anyway ending life, and if I couldn't do this, my more earthy dream was to graduate and have a career in research, finding a magical drug that cures one of the world's most deadly diseases, getting a Noble prize in medicine, getting married as soon as I graduate and have a big family with lots of daughters (probably that was the influence of Salma) So in short, at 20 I was this weird silent guy, wearing funny clothes, attaching passionately to religion, judging people by the way they dress and their grades at school, reading difficult books mostly classical novels of Arabic, English, French and German writers and living in my own world that no one had any access to, carrying a bad experience of one sided attraction to a beautiful girl at school who I never ever had the courage to go and talk to although her sister was my sister's best friend, loving her silently and writing her tears-drawing painful love letters that never reached her and suffering but enjoying in silence and solitude. I also had some attempts in writing, with several short stories and a long story with all the sadness and misfortunes that could happen to a hundred people all happening to one poor woman that I created as a character! In 1999 I turned twenty and in that year, a new me was being created! Keep following!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright.... This is definetly NOT you! :)))

Mesh mesada2a ya3ny that you were an entewa2y kind of person, who doesn't fit in a team!!!! (YOU???)

I mean... I'll turn 27 soon, and when I look back at the 20 years old me, I definelty get surprised of the amount of innocence I had back then... was very shy yes, and now am very sociable... but, the thing is eno the core things havent changed THAT much.... akeed it changed... but mesh ledaraget eny a look back ala2y a completely different person....

Ma 3aleina... am looking forword to reading the following posts... :)

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you. you're talking about someone else. old fashioned, silent, judging people by the way they dress, not sharing how u feel with people, sad... min da? can someone change to the extreme opposite?

u gave me hope that may be some day i will have all what i wish to be in me

mito all what i can say is that u are so garee2 to share this with people, begad no one can do this

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD i can believe anything except dressing in an old fashioned way (mito u r a model when it comes to clothing, mathazzarsh) and this religious bombing thing, actually it took me sometime to accept the fact that u went to omra and that piece u wrote was like who wrote this, this is not the mito that we know

u keep surprising, actually shocking ur readers, berra7a shwayya

and u are having a series of posts? rabbena yostor!!!

Meto said...

Yes it was me, life can change people ya Rou, more than you can imagine, definitely not everyone but life is powerful.

Anonymous people, can you please tell me who you are (even beny we benko)Sometimes curiosity kills me who it is and many times I get to know the anonymous writer ;)

And yes there will be lots of surprises, time to open the secrets drawer and share my past, I have nothing to be ashamed of. At the end of the day I am the product of all this, walla eh?

Anonymous said...

I had my eyes WIDE open and my jaws dropped throughout the post!!! You're RADICALLY different now ya Meto!!! You're almost the opposite of everything you mentioned in this post! You still have passion inside but you changed the channels of showing it :)

Cannot wait to know what caused the change :)

Anonymous said...

What do you think caused this change ya Mayyada? I think just two words: Elly Shofto :)

Saloka said...

im salma , hamada's daugther ,although he changed alot he has never been that strange to me , he used to be & still the source of feeling safe & happy , my friends said when they saw him for the first time they talked with him that they felt that its me talking, hamada has always been another thing to me different than any other thing in my life my mother, father, sisters , even when he started his own life & career and somehow busy im used to being another one with him im totally weak infront of anything he asks me 4 & when upset me so much & just come to talk with me i forget everything easily as it didnt happen , he made me Salma he made everything good in me , he is senstive & loving person, i wish i could meet someone like him, he taught me so many things , i saw my life through his eyes my future through his encourage , my success through his trust in me , im 18 & he is 30 , but there is no spaces between us , i've never been afraid to tell him anything , he used to be bgd the only one in my whole life that can make me change my mind in anything, noone can do so except him !!! he is the best part in me , and the best thing ever happened to me, hwa el merbini w dy a7la 7aga feya , rabbena y5leeh leya nefsy ashofo m72a2 all his dreams , winning nobel prize , living happily & staisfied yarab.
Salma

Anonymous said...

u make us crying ya gama3a ...ma shaa allah for all this love..
i discovered this blog accidentally and i 'm very pleased to follow it ..
i liked the words written by annonymus ;u gave me hope that may be some day i will have all what i wish to be in me...
u were similar to me when i was young but i don't feel that i changed completely as it seems u became .... waiting to read the rest ...bas ya reit 2abl agazet el eid mate7*las...

Nerro said...

Rabena yekhaliko lba3d.
Meto: this is extremely inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God, dy el3ela kolla kottab ba2a. lovely salma and lovely mito rabbina y7'aliko lb3d

Unknown said...

Dearest Mito,
You know quite well how much you mean to me, maybe we don't have the chance to meet a lot, but you know how much i value your presence in my life, you know how much we are close and have common things, and you know also how much we have differences and our way to handle it :), I have got the chance to know you in the middle of the road 6 years ago?? wala emta belzabt ya wad, yah I think it was from 6 years ago, you were starting to come out of your shell and to do some socializing with others, I never thought of you as a weird or introvert, I only saw that bright and clean soul inside, mesh 3aref for me you are always the same, might be I have missed 4 years (from 20 to 24),but starting from 26 till now (Mighty 30 :))you are the same dear one to me coz u were and always be my honest, clear, loyal, very kind hearted, straight forward, faithful and GENUIS friend (Masha2 allah) and you are always with our different body sizes and ages :)My Dearest MITO)

Anonymous said...

I have to declare that i laughed while reading some parts. But in general i think I can quite see how it happned. Even the idea of choosing to study pharamceuticals match with the profile you give of yourself.

I have ot sign anonymous cos i have no account:)

RH